All professional and passionate gardeners must be aware of the Hedge Shears without which the gardening toolbox is pretty incomplete. These are used in the trimming and shaping of the hedges. Markets are crowded with copious varieties of hedge shears by different brands. Each product has its own features and specialties. Hedge Shearing is routine work and the tool will be used repeatedly. Besides making your pruning experience easy, well-selected hedge shears will enhance the growth of the plants as well. Thus, you need to select the hedge shears prudently. In this article, we are sharing some basic features of the 10 best hedge shears available in the market.
For the proper selection of hedge shears, it is important to have an idea about the types of this tool. Hedge Shears can be divided on the basis of handles, blades, and their usage.
On the base of the structure and length of handles, they are divided into adjustable, angled, and telescopic Hedge Shears.
On the base of Blades, the Shears are classified as under:
- Straight Blade Shears (For small and soft shoots and trees. These are easy to sharpen.)
- Wavy Blade Shears (For plants that need good gripping. These are difficult to sharpen.)
- Serrated Blade Shears (Suitable for harder and irregular hedges. These can’t be sharpened).
On the base of Usage, Hedge Shears are divided into Anvil and Bypass hears:
- Bypass Shears better work for herbaceous hedges.
- Anvil Shears are preferable for dry and dead hedges.
How to Select the Best Hedge Shears
While selecting the hedge shear you need to match it according to your requirements. Some important considerable features are mentioned below:
- Length and type of Hedge Shear.
- Blades of the Hedge Shear and the nature of your hedges.
- Comfort level and handles of the Hedge Shear.
- Your pruning ability and strength.
- Your budget.
10 Best Hedge Shears
In this section, we are sharing the basic features, pros, and cons of the ten best hedge shearing tools available in the market.
Gonicc 8-Inch Professional Premium Titanium Bypass Pruning Shears
Gonick is a popular brand in the market and its shears attain a prominent position in our list of best hedge shears. The 8” Professional Bypass pruning shears (GPPS-1003) are made up of premium quality titanium steel and Ultra-fine polishing technology. Handles are ergonomically designed and made up of high-quality Aluminum further wrapped in PVC maximizing the comfort for the using hands. In addition, the sap grooves design to avoid the sap mess or stickiness while you prune. Furthermore, it is very sharp and has the ability to cut variable sizes with an average of up to ¾In the diameter of tree branches.
Weight: 6.4 ounces.
- Made up of high-quality rust-free titanium steel which is lightweight yet strong metal.
- Comfortable to use and lightweight aluminum handles.
- Unique design to avoid stickiness of the plant sap from creating mess and rust on the sheers.
- Not suitable for dead and dry branches.
- Some customers complain about the poor fixing of pivot nut which makes the product risky to use.
Gonicc 8-Inch Professional SK-5 Steel Blade Sharp Anvil Pruning Shears
Another product from the brand Gonicc is a part of our list of best hedge shears. The 8” professional anvil shears (GPPS-1001) are made up of high carbon SK-5 steel and chromium plating technology. The pulley working mechanism allows an effortless cutting experience. Thus, the user doesn’t need to consume much energy while pruning. Ergonomic designed high-quality Aluminum handles are wrapped with the PVC layer to enhance the comfort of the pruner. Additionally, the product comes with a 100% lifetime money-back guarantee.
Weight: 4.8 ounces.
- Lightweight shears.
- Sharp and efficient.
- A high safety product comes with an inbuilt lock.
- Durable blades made up of high-quality carbon blades.
- Easy to use due to ergonomic handles.
- Inexpensive product.
- Better suited for lightweight pruning works less than ¾ inches diameter of branches.
- A lock is somewhat less reliable and gets problematic in some articles. However, this can be replaced by the company.
Tabor Tools B212A Telescopic Hedge Shears
The Telescopic Hedge shears attain a recommendable place in hedge shears reviews. The sharp, wavy forged carbon steel blades produce smoothly operated crisp cuts enhancing the health of the plants. The strong and long handles (33In long when extended) enable you to reach for tall trees and hedges. In addition, the shears have shock-absorbing bumpers that will minimize the jarring vibrations to ensure a smooth and comfortable pruning experience.
Dimensions: 25.6 x 9.1 x 2 inches.
Weight: 3.25 pounds.
- 33 inches long handles help to cut tall trees and shrubs.
- High quality and sharp blades made up of carbon steel.
- Adjustable blade tension.
- Shock guard bumpers to ensure jerk-free gardening.
- Comparatively expensive product.
- Durability is slightly unreliable.
KSEIBI 143075 Hedge Shears
The KSEIBI 143075 hedge shears are suitable for heavy-duty use. The light-weight aluminum telescopic 28 to 40 inches extendable handles allow effortless maintenance of the whole yard. The edges of SK-5 hardened steel blades have been heated treated thrice with a temperature range of 58 degrees centigrade for effortless cutting of yard including dry woody trees. Moreover, the lever drive system enhances the cutting power of the shears. This is suitable for both professional and domestic usage.
Dimensions: 26.8 x 1.6 x 10.6 inches.
Weight: 2.75 pounds.
- Durable and corrosion-resistant material of blades.
- Oval, tubular, telescopic, and ergonomic handles enable easy usage for pruners of all ability levels.
- Long handles for accessing tall trees and hedges.
- Inbuilt thumb release safety lock button.
- Relatively high price level.
Gonicc 8-Inch Professional Pruning Shears (GPPS-1002)
This is another product from the brand Gonicc. The blades are made up of high carbon SK-5 steel with ultra-fine polishing technology. The ergonomically designed aluminum handles covered with PVC make it easy to use. The sap groove design ensures that the sap does not mess up with the pruner. Moreover, it can cut up to ¾ in of diameter of the branches.
Dimensions: 10.6 x 1.3 x 3.5 inches.
Weight: 8 ounces.
- Durable and strong drop forged body made up of high-quality material and fine technology.
- Ergonomically designed handles.
- Relatively heavy product.
Okatsune Precision Hedge Shears
The Okastune Precision Hedge Shears attain a good place among the best professional hedge shears. The highly sharp 6.9 inches blades are made up of hot hammer-forged “Izumo Yasuki Stel”. This is high-quality Japanese steel, used in sword making in Japan. In addition, the handles are made up of slick Japanese White Oak.
Dimensions: 2 x 6.1 x 21 inches.
Weight: 1.5 pounds.
- Very sharp and efficient blades.
- Easy and comfortable to use.
- Highly expensive product.
Corona HS 3950 Extendable Hedge Shears
This product from Corona attains a good repute in hedge shears reviews. The 8.5 inches blades are made up of high carbon steel. The steel handles are lightweight with 15 to 26 inches extendable comfort grips. The precision-made pivot bolt enhances the smooth cutting action of the product. Furthermore, it comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
Dimensions: 26.1 x 7.8 x 3.7 inches.
Weight: 3.5 pounds.
- Long 10 inches blades.
- Inbuilt shock bumpers to minimizing the fatigue of the arm and shoulder.
- A product of the renowned Corona brand, working since the 1920s.
- Slightly expensive product.
ARS HS-KR1000 Professional Hedge Shears
The HS-KR1000 shears from ARS are made up of superior quality steel. Pivot bolt enables adjustable and replaceable blades to provide a smooth cutting experience.
Dimensions: 28 x6 x2 inches.
Weight: 1.85 pounds.
- Blades with durable sharpness.
- Replaceable blades feature enhancing the durability of the product.
- Highly expensive product.
Glimour 800086-1001 8-Inch Basic Hedge Shears
This 8” basic hedge shears from Glimour come with 8” nonstick coated blades and attain a second last position in the list of 10 best hedge shears. Both blades are of different features and cutting ability to provide an enhanced cutting experience. The aluminum handles are strong with cushion grips. Moreover, the brand provides a lifetime guarantee.
Dimensions: 1.8 x 7.3 x 22.1 inches.
Weight: 1.9 pounds.
- Shock-absorbing bumpers minimize the cutting jerks.
- Cushioned handles provide comfortable usage.
- Slightly heavy product.
- Comparatively lesser maneuverability.
Fiskars 391911-1002 Power Lever 8-Inch Hedge Shears
Fiskars is a popular brand with many recommendable products. The Power Lever shears from Fiskars are strong enough to be added to the list of best Shears for hedge cutting. The 8” self-sharpening steel Gator-blades have a strong grip on the branches. The steel handles with cushioned grips for comfortable usage. Moreover, the product comes with a lifetime warranty.
Dimensions: 2.8 x 7.5 x 22 inches.
Weight: 2 pounds.
- Shock-absorbing bumper.
- Easy to use.
- Relatively heavy product.
- The sharpness of blades is not recommendable.
Best Carbon Filter For Grow Room
The gardening toolbox is totally incomplete without good hedge shears. Copious options are available in markets with different features. While selecting the hedge shearing tool, considerable facts include the nature and height of hedges along with the strength and budget of the user. Based upon research and customers’ reviews, ‘Gonicc 8-Inch Professional Premium Titanium Bypass Pruning Shears’ and ‘Gonicc 8-Inch Professional SK-5 Steel Blade Sharp Anvil Pruning Shears’ are two recommendable options in our list of best hedge shears in the market.