Dandelions have always been an interesting part of artistic discussions and fairytales. However, their presence is quite different in the practical world of gardening and cropping. Dandelions are unwanted plants found commonly in the majority of growing zones around the world. These are added to the group of broadleaf weeds. Markets are full of many products used for the removal of weeds including dandelions. Each product has its nature, efficiency, and coverage, and price range. It is always better to get advice from experts before selecting the best herbicide for dandelions. In this article, we are sharing our suggestions for the choice of the best dandelion killer along with a basic guide to select the product.
Types of Weed Killers
It is important to mention here the two basic types of weed killers:
Selective Weed Killers:
These are the products that kill only specific weeds and don’t harm other plants.
Non-selective weed killers:
These are strong types of weed killers and kill all the vegetation coming in contact with the product.
How to Select the Best Dandelion Killer
When you are selecting the suitable and best spray for dandelions, you need to consider under mention aspects;
Nature of usage:
In this, you need to select according to your requirements. For example, if you want to remove dandelions inside the lawn by patch spraying, in this case, get a selective weed killer. If you need to kill the dandelions outside the park, a non-selective spray is a better option.
Area of Growth:
You need to see if you are using the product for the vegetable growing area or not. Every weed killer is not suitable for the cropping area, so choose accordingly.
Residual and Waiting time:
Every weed killer has different residual activity and time period. Some products allow replanting after just a day. On the other hand, some strong herbicides do not allow plants to grow for as long as one year.
Like purchasing any other thing, you need to see your budget and select the product accordingly.
10 Best Dandelion Killer
Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer
This is a concentrated and strong product and is the best dandelion killer in the rankings. With a 41% concentration of glyphosate, it kills dandelions, weeds, and grass in just a single application. It is suitable for dandelion and weed removal in driveways, walkways, along fences, flowerbeds and vegetable gardens. A warm sunny day with no rain forecast in the next 24 hours is suitable for its application. It is a non-selective herbicide and will kill all the targeted green plants.
- This is a strong and concentrated product.
- No residual activity of the product. Hence, replanting can be done as quickly as after 1 day after the complete clearing.
- The product is not suitable for patch use in the lawn as it will kill the grass.
- Comparatively slow in the initial results which are visible in 2 to 4 days.
- Relatively expensive product.
Green Gobbler Vinegar Weed Grass and Killer
This natural and organic product is strong enough to kill the dandelions and many other weeds. The green gobbler with 21% vinegar in it gets second place in our list of the best dandelion killer. This is safe to use anywhere because of its natural origin. This ready-to-use product is suitable for agricultural, industrial, commercial, and residential uses. This is free from harmful glyphosate which is a common ingredient in other herbicides. One of the most prominent features is that it is certified for organic use and a pet-friendly product.
- OMRI listed weed killer.
- A safe formula. It kills the weeds and grass without adding harmful and toxic chemicals to the soil.
- Powerful enough to kill the stubborn weeds and the dandelions.
- It comes with 30 days money-back guarantee from the manufacturer.
- Quick results in 24 hours of the first application.
- This is a non-selective herbicide. So be careful and protect the desired plants.
- This is not suitable for patch use in lawns as it kills the grass as well.
- The product is comparatively expensive.
Roundup 5705010 Extended Control Weed and Grass Killer
Roundup is a popular and effective brand and besides the roundup5705010, two more products are added to our list of best weed killer for dandelions. This product is a dual-action formula. It not only kills the existing weeds from the roots but also prevents the new growth for up to 4 months. Popular uses are in driveways, sidewalks, and patios, along with fountains, curbs, lawn edges, decorative rock areas, and many others.
- The product comes with the guarantee of the brand ‘Roundup’.
- It becomes rainproof in 30 minutes.
- The product is used in less quantity. Thus, it becomes an economical choice.
- Not suitable for using patch removal of dandelions inside lawns, as it kills the grass along with the weeds.
- The timing of the initial visible results is 12 hours. This is not as fast as any other product in our list of best weed killers for dandelions which are showing results in even 3 hours.
Roundup Weed and Grass Killer Concentrate Plus
This product from Roundup is one of the strongest and best weed killer for dandelions, killing them from the roots. You can use it around shrubs, flowers, trees, patios, walkways, driveways, mulch beds, and many others. It is also suitable for large areas like lawn replacements and garden preparations. A tank spray is best to use the roundup concentrate plus. Furthermore, it shows visible results in 12 hours.
- Strong and concentrated product.
- Gets rainproof in 30 minutes.
- Visible results appear in 12 hours, which is relatively slow in comparison to other products.
- It is not suitable for use around edible plants and crops.
Ragan and Massey 016866 Glyphosphate Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer
This is another powerful product from the brand ‘Compare and Save’ using the strong glyphosphate. This is an emergent herbicide and gets a good place in the list of best herbicide for dandelions. It kills the grass and weeds and useful to clear up driveways, walkways, and fence borders. Additionally, this is suitable for the renovation of parks and lawns, spot spray around the landscaping, and the crops as well. Warm and sunny days and temperature above 60 degrees Fahrenheit are ideal to use it. However, it is not suitable to spray it on rainy days.
- A strong herbicide that kills all green plants quickly.
- Easily mixable in water.
- No residual activity of the product. Thus, replanting can be as quick as 24 hours after the initial spray.
- Not suitable for spot spray in lawns as it kills the grass as well.
- Not rainproof and should be sprayed at least 24 hours before the rain forecast.
- This will not ensure future suppression of the weeds as it does not target specific.
Ortho Weed B Gon plus Crabgrass Control Ready-To-Spray2
This ready to spray and easy to use product is in our list of top 10 best dandelion killer and kills a large variety of more than 200 weeds including the dandelions and crabgrass. If you use it in a specific manner, it guarantees to keep the lawn safe.
- This is a quick action product that starts working immediately after spraying.
- Easy to use and hassle-free. This pre-prepared product is preferable for common people because you don’t need to mix it or do any other risky effort.
- It doesn’t harm the lawn and keep it safe.
- Keeps the lawn and a variety of common grasses safe.
- It becomes rainproof in 1 hour while others are as quick as 15 minutes.
- It is stronger in the growing season of weeds.
Southern Ag 2,4-D Amine Weed Killer
The 2,4-D A Amine weed killer from Southern brand kills a wide range of broadleaf weeds including the dandelions and woody plants. It is an equivalent liquid concentrate in low volatile form. You can use it in a variety of areas including turf, pastures, rangeland, ditch banks, fences, parks, golf courses, small grains, non-cropping sites, and many others. This product is effective even in small quantities. 2 to 3 tablespoons of this Southern weed killer are enough for mixing with 3 to 5 gallons of water. This solution will cover 1000, sq.ft. Low pressure and fan type nozzles are suitable for this spray.
- It is an economical product with a relatively low use rate. A small quantity of spray like 2 to 3 tablespoon is enough for 1000 sq ft.
- This is not as quick as other sprays. Spot treatment is further required after the spray to get rid of the weeds completely.
Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer with Extended Control
This Concentrated formula from Spectracide is a non-selective weed and grass killer and gets second the last place in the list of the best dandelion killer. This is a quick action formula. You can use this to kill the weeds and dandelions to the root. It works as a spot treatment for unwanted plants along with the patios, walkways, fences, driveways, flowers, trees, and other vegetation. Furthermore, it is ideal for the renovation of the growing area by removing all the plants. The ideal time to use the product is warm sunny weather with a temperature above 60 degrees Fahrenheit. After dilution, follow the rates on the label and spray the product with the help of a tank sprayer
- This formula turns rainproof just after 15 minutes.
- It shows visible results in just 3 hours.
- The waiting time is just 24 hours. You can plant new trees and plants after waiting for just 24 hours.
- Spectracide concentrated is not suitable for crops and eatable plants.
- Once you spray, don’t disturb the treated vegetation by owing or mixing for at least one week.
- The sprayer needs to be careful about wanted plants. Thus, you need cardboard or plastic-like material to cover the flowers or other desirable vegetation. Otherwise, the product will randomly kill the required plants along.
- Not convenient for use as a spot treatment of weeds inside the growing area.
Tenacity Turf Herbicide
This is a systematic dual-action weed killer for the turfgrass. It acts as both pre-emergence and post-emergence weed killer. Acting as a selective herbicide, it gets absorbed in the soil and suppresses the growth of emerging weeds. With 40 % Mesotrione as the active ingredient, besides dandelion it kills a variety of weeds like clover, thistle, crabgrass, chickweed, carpetweed, and many others.
- Dual-action product. It kills both existing and newly emerging weeds.
- Works as a selective herbicide for a variety of weeds including dandelion.
- The product is slightly expensive as compared to other competitive products.
Scotts Snap Pac Weed and Feed
This is a double-action product that not only kills the pesky weeds including the dandelions but also functions as a feed for the lawn grass. Additionally, it increases the nutrient absorbing ability of the grass. Furthermore, this is pretty easy to use. You don’t need to do the hassle of mixing or pouring into containers. The unique Snap Pack is directly attached to the sprayer. The result will be a healthy-looking lawn without any irritating weeds.
- Unique double-action product.
- It kills the weeds while feeding and enhancing the grass around it.
- Easy to use a product that is directly attached to the sprayer.
- This is a relatively pricy product.
- It is not easily available in many areas and countries.
Dandelions are a common broadleaf weed. There are many products for the removal of these weeds. You need to select the best dandelion killer according to your requirements, like coverage area, waiting period, nature of plants in the growing area, and your budget. according to our research, we recommend the Compare-N-Save Concentrate and the Green Gobbler Vinegar Weed Grass Killer as the two most competitive products in the market. However, it is always better to consult the experts before selecting your best spray for dandelions.