The thick and bright emerald Zoysia grass lawns are a true gift of nature. Besides the appearance, resilience and strength are the main features making them a preferable grass choice in modern gardening. However, this beautiful and tough grass needs you to do some extra effort for maintenance and proper mowing is on the top of that list.
When it comes to choosing a suitable mower for Zoysia, you must know what you need. Well, we want you to save your time, effort, and money by avoiding a whole lot of unsuitable mowers available on the market. Let us share a list to give you an idea about the Best Mowers for Zoysia Grass. Keep reading!
What Type of Mower Is Required For Zoysia Grass?
The thick and resilient Zoysia grass types are slow but steady growers. Ideally, 3 inches is a nice maintainable size to avoid splicing them into a stem instead of the leaf. This means you need to take out your mower right after seeing your Zoysia reaching around 3 inches.
Coming towards the mowers, you should choose cutting mowers and not the tearing ones.
- This makes the Reel lawn mowers a generally preferable option, especially for small lawns.
- However, the medium and larger lawns need powerful mowers with at least a 2 cycle engine and helicopter blades.
Experts advise keeping the grass cuttings on the lawn to enhance nitrogen absorption. Moreover, make sure you never cut wet Zoysia grass to avoid fungal growth.
American Lawn Mower Company 1204-14 14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
The winner in the list of the best mowers for Zoysia grass is this product coming from a reputed company. This is an efficient and powerful machine, relatively suitable for smaller lawns. The versatile design comes with a 4-blade ball bearing reel and 8.5-inch composite wheels. We found it to be a suitable option for a variety of grass types like bluegrass, crabgrass, fescue, and rye.
The high-quality durable alloy steel used for making blades is specially made for sharpness and efficiency. Moreover, the machine comes with an adjustable cutting height from 0.5 to 1.75 inches, helping you to get the result of your choice.
- The wheels are made up of durable composite and polymer to ensure a maneuverable design.
- Adjustable cutting heights and suitability for different types of grass.
- Eco-friendly material.
- Few of the users found it to be relatively slower due to the 14-inch cutting width.
- Not suitable for larger areas.
Black+Decker BEMW472BH 10Ah Electric Lawn Mower
Fans of corded mowers giving neat cuts in their small lawns have this option among the best mowers for Zoysia grass. The features like power drive transmission and 6.5amp motor help it work well on the toughest of grasses and weeds. Moreover, this multifunctional product is helpful for a variety of functions like mowing, trimming, and edging.
The Black+Decker has the competitive edge due to its AFS; the automatic feed spool. This helps the users to enjoy uninterrupted mowing without needing to stop for spool adjustments. Besides, this is comfortable a lightweight design with easily adjustable cutting heights between 1.6 to 2.4 inches.
- Versatile product for a variety of uses in gardening.
- Light-weight design, easily maintainable, and comfortable to store design.
- Gear Drive to ensure consistent mowing over different types of grasses.
- The cord retention system helps to avoid accidental cord disconnection.
- Packed accessories like AFX 100 spool, auxiliary handle, power guard, string trimmer, and a mower deck.
- The usage may get a little tiring. Hence, not suitable for comfort lovers and the weak or elderly.
- The 12-inch deck is suitable for small places only and not for anything larger or even medium in size.
BLACK+DECKER Electric Lawn Mower
This is another mower on our list of best mowers for Zoysia grass for small to medium-sized lawns coming from the same brand. The bike handle ergonomic design with a 15-inch deck ensures comfortable usage. You don’t need to pull the cords; instead, a push button is there to ensure a safe and quick start.
The unique 6-level height adjustments and range from1 to 3 inches help you enjoy the cutting of your choice. It further comes with rugged wheel treads ensuring better traction and more control. Moreover, the winged clipping blades offer a 30% better collection of grass clippings, helping you to keep the lawn cleaner after work.
- Quality blades to ensure sharpness and durability.
- Affordable price.
- Easy and safe start and easy-to-use.
- Height adjustability and high maneuverability.
- Smart and compact built for easy storage.
- Cleaning the mower is somewhat difficult.
- A corded design could be an off for people expecting a cordless machine.
- Not suitable for larger areas.
Greenworks M-210-SP 21-Inch 40V Brushless Self-Propelled Mower
Next on our list of best mowers for Zoysia grass is the brushless self-propelled mower from the renowned brand. Medium to large-sized lawn owners looking for some effortless and efficient mower has a perfect choice here.
The 21-inch deck helps you cover larger areas in a relatively short time. This versatile machine is helpful in a variety of functions like rear bag, mulching, and discharging grass clippings.
The main feature of the machine is its brushless motor. It ensures stronger torque and noiseless operation along with being easily chargeable through USB. The adjustable rear wheels help you to tweak the drive system according to your required stride. The dual battery ports with two 6Ah batteries help you to enjoy long uninterrupted sessions for up to 40 minutes.
- Comes with the famous Greenworks Smart cut technology.
- Versatile product for a variety of uses.
- Easy-to-start electricity push button.
- Long battery time.
- Suitable for larger areas.
- Vertical storage for easy-to-store space.
- Self-propelled system and brush-less motor for easy usage and noiseless operation.
- No emissions.
- Suitable for elderly, weak, or ill people.
- We found that the manufacturers could increase the battery time to enhance usability.
Fiskars Lawn Mowers: StaySharp Max Reel Push Lawn Mowers
Fiskars presents this StaySharp Max Reel Push Mower for all those looking for an easy-to-push reel mower. The advanced features like the InertiaDrive reel specialize to cut the toughest of grasses like Zoysia. Moreover, the large 18-inch deck makes it a preferable product for quicker work in preferably shorter time.
The StaySharp cutting system is designed to make minimum contact with the grass. This enhances the performance while reducing the service requirements of the machine. Furthermore, the modern reversible grass chute enables the cutter to direct the grass cuttings in any of the desired directions.
- Advertised for a 60% more comfortable push.
- Adjustable cutting height.
- Advanced design and inset wheels ensure a nice cleanup in otherwise hard-to-clean areas and edges.
- 3-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- More useful for smaller lawns in comparison to larger areas.
Scotts Outdoor Power Tools Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower
Another eco-friendly and no-motor mower form Scotts is on our list for small lawn owners. The 20-inches cutting deck gives it an edge over numerous compact reel mowers on the market. Moreover, the 5-blade ball bearing reel and 10-inch dual tracking wheels allow a clean while letting you walk faster without missing any spots.
The mower comes with an ergonomic handle with cushioned grip to enhance comfort. The adjustable cutting height of 1 to 3inches allows a clean and even cut for your Zoysia. Moreover, the bearing rotary system is another favorable feature that is durable and easy to maintain.
- Light-weight, easy-to-maintain, fuel-less and eco-friendly product.
- Made up of high-quality heat-treated allow steel for durability and sharpness.
- Ergonomic handle for comfortable use.
- Easy to store compact design.
- A lighter mower is not suitable for medium to large lawns.
Greenworks M-210-SP 21 Inch Brushless Self-Propelled Mower
This self-propelled high-power system and brushless motor deliver quiet and stronger cutting power for your medium-sized lawn. This makes it a suitable choice for Zoysia and other such grass types. Moreover, the large and durable 21 inches steel mower helps you give a quicker cut to a larger area.
The adjustability of the rear wheels helps you to match its drive system with your stride. Other features include a dual battery port and a 6Ah battery for 40 minutes of uninterrupted mowing sessions.
- 3-in-1 functioning for mulch, bag, and size-discharge.
- Renowned Green work Technology.
- User-friendly and easy push-start electric button
- Adjustment of cutting height.
- Easy to store due to vertical storage.
- No-push, self-propelled and emission-less system.
- A nice choice for old and weak or ill people.
- Battery time of 40 minutes could be longer and better performance.
Earthwise 1715-16EW 16-Inch 7- Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
Earthwise presents this product for people looking for a small, push-reel mower for their smaller lawns. This is a fuel-less and eco-friendly product in our list of best mowers for Zoysia grass. The 16-inch blades are made up of alloy steel ensuring sharpness, durability, and strength. Another great feature is its scissor-like cutting action helping you to avoid tearing the fluids of the grass.
Special ball-bearing reels and composite wheels are added to the design to enhance the cutting strength. Also, we could easily adjust the cutting heights between 0.5 to 2.5 inches which ensured clean cuts on the lawn. The versatile product is useful for various grasses including Bermuda, Centipede, St. Augustine, and Seashore Paspalum.
- Eco-friendly and fuel-less usage.
- Scissor-like cutting action for the healthy snipping of the grass.
- Low-maintenance and low-expenditure products.
- Easy-to-assemble, light-weight,, and easy-to-store.
- 16-Inch durable blades.
- The rollers lock up the grass leftovers which decreases the functioning of the mower.
- Some of the users found it difficult to use and push the handle.
- The wedges need screwing and effort for the adjustment of height.
- Not a preferable product for cutting long grass or weeds.
Troy-Bilt WC33 420cc 33-inch Wide Cut RWD Lawn Mower with Electric Start
People looking for large and strong mowers for medium to large-sized lawns can have a look at this gas-powered Troy-Bilt mower. It is suitable for almost all types of mowing works regardless of the toughness and the softness of the grass type! With the large 33-inch cutting deck and the powerful 42-cc OHV engine, you can surely call it a mowing workhorse.
The high output zero-turn radius allows it to maximize the maneuverability allowing the effortless cutting of Zoysia from the tightest spots. 4-rear wheel forward speeds along with an easy and quick start push button; will help you to cover larger areas. You can use it for mulching and side-discharge. However, a separate bagging unit is required to enhance the functionality.
- Suitable for larger areas.
- RWD self-propelled design and large 33-inch deck with a powerful system.
- Easy to start and easy to use.
- Variable mowing speeds.
- Durable product.
- Extra large rear wheels enhance the traction in rugged areas.
- Noisy operation.
- Heavy machines require large space to store.
- Requires high maintenance.
Husqvarna LTH1738 Loncin Hydrostatic Gas Riding Lawn Mower
Last but not the least, a riding lawn mower by Husqvarna attains a position in our list of best mowers for Zoysia grass. This is a 17-HP gas-powered lawn mower with a versatile and powerful design. The large 38-inch cutting deck makes it a suitable cutting machine for medium to large-sized lawns.
It comes with an ergonomically functioned steering control, and a pedal-operated transmission mechanism. Moreover, the robust design and air induction technology give a clean-cut result. All this ensures a smooth operation and strong cutting power on the toughest grasses like Zoysia.
- Powerful 17HP OHV engine.
- A large and strong cutting deck made up of high-quality reinforced steel.
- Adjustable cutting heights.
- Chokeless starting and ergonomic steering wheel for effortless usage.
- We found the mid-back seat getting slightly uncomfortable after a short ride.
- Gas emissions are a putoff for the users and nature.
- Requires comparatively higher maintenance.
The beautiful Zoysia grass needs special maintenance and proper mowing. To avoid waisting your resources on unsuitable products, you must understand the requirements. These increase suitable for thick Zoysia grass, your health, budget, and the size of your lawn.
We have compiled a guide along with a list of some nice options as the best mowers for Zoysia grass. The American Lawn Mower Company 1204-14 14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower and Black+Decker BEMW472BH 10Ah Electric Lawn Mower are the two preferable options for small lawns.
Then comes the top choice for medium-sized lawns, the Black+Decker BEMW472BH 10Ah Electric Lawn Mower. Moving forward, Greenworks M-210-SP 21-Inch 40V Brushless Self-Propelled Mower is a considerable choice for medium to large-sized lawn owners.